RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent heroin overdose — with a hypodermic needle still stuck in his arm — at his Greenwich Village apartment Sunday, authorities said. He was 46.
The acclaimed screen and stage star was discovered in his underwear on the bathroom floor of his $9,800-a-month rental after missing a morning appointment to pick up his three young kids from their mother, his longtime girlfriend, Mimi O’Donnell, law-enforcement sources said.
Philip Seymour Hoffman’s New York City apartment building, Pickwick House, where the actor was found dead earlier today.Photo: Getty Images
He was declared dead at the scene, a needle in his left forearm. A source said it was clear that the “Capote’’ star had been dead “for hours.”
Hoffman — a versatile and prolific actor famed for his vivid portrayals of troubled souls — had repeatedly struggled with substance abuse. He spent 10 days in rehab last year for abusing prescription pills and heroin after 23 years of sobriety.
Cops found five empty glassine envelopes in a garbage can, two more under the bed and one on a table in the apartment, along with a charred spoon in the kitchen sink, sources said.
“He was shooting up in the bathroom,” a law-enforcement source said.
February 2, 2014 | 1:28pm
Philip you will be greatly missed. I can’t say I’ve seen too many of your movies, but Boogie Nights is in my top 5. You’re not an idiot and rest easy Phil…
Not creepy at all…
“It’s my big dick and I say when we roll. You know what? I’m the biggest star here, man. That’s the way it is! I want to fuck! It’s my big dick! So, everybody get ready fuckin’ NOW!”